Thursday, March 17, 2011

My First Glimpse Of My Dad (CONTD)

Mother,s prayers finally paid off., And one day the family received a telegram that Dad is being sent back to India (probably due to the operation).There was great relief in the house. However anxiety and worries still continued as the information came that many ships were being sunk/tarpeoed in the Gulf region. After passing some more anxiety full daye, we received a tellegram from our maternal uncle from Karachi That Dad has reached safely there and within a couple of days would be reaching Lahore . Then there was real relief and joy.
On the arrival day we reached Lahore station. Many relatives and friends accompanied us.Almost everybody had a garland in the hand. The train arrived .Every body rushed towards the compartment. We children and mother stood about 15 meters away, as though every body had more right to meet him than us.. However after a few minutes the gherao cleared ,and for the first times, I saw my Dad. A lean medium height man wearing a military uniform with a big smile stood looking at us (still 15 meters away).Hecarried attractive mouchtashe through which a proud face looked at us.We children almost ran towards him.He picked me up in his arms,hugged me and pastered kisses on my head and face.I kept looking at him. Ican still feel the warmth and breath of my Dad. He did not allow me to get down till we reached home.I do not remember how my mother met him.Those were still the conservative days.Almost 70 years have passed , but I still see myself in my Dad,s arms standind at Lahore raiway station before the railway compartment.The scene still brings in me a sense of joy and pride to be in Dad,s arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment