Thursday, April 28, 2011

THE GIRL CHILD

Recently our daughter told us that they visited 3 Ashram's near Bangalore. In one of the ashram they came across a young lady with a lovely girl child and the authorities told them that she had been thrown out of the house by her husband because she had given birth to a girl. It made me sad and depressed to see that how humanity had detoriated. i am not sure whether we can generalise this episode with the present generation or it is more linked to the behaviour of a person or it is more linked as a behaviour from family to family.

In contrast to this attitude I would like to compare the morale of our family and specially that of our my father. My parents were blessed with 5 daughters and I was born (son) as the 6th member in the family. No doubt the prescence of a son in a family was important. All the daughter's were extremely loved and regarded and definetly more than I. My father was very strict with me but the sister's ruled the house.
It was at Lahore that I was woken up in the night by one of my sister and was told that you have one more sister. Sleepily I asked from where she had come. Immediately our father gathered us all. Gave`the news of 6th daughter in our family. He told us strictly that when we go to meet mother nobody should show or express any disappointment but should meet with a happy smiling face. The same message was clearly given to all relatives and friends. My mother was so well looked after by us and father with a special nurse at her attendance.

My youngest sister was a lovely child and soon won the heart of all. Daily a couple of new dresses were stitched by other sisters and was carried from arm to arm. When she was a little older, she would hold father's hands and jump and dance on the dinning table. In fact when one of the older aunts came to visit us she remarked that there were celebrations going on in the family.

 During the partition conflict, we , one night hurriedly left the house under the fear of an immediate attack and the youngest sister was forgotten behind. When the mistake was realised, mother & father rushed back and picked her up. This was done at the risk of their own life. Till today she is loved by all.

When she was almost 4 yrs old at Delhi, she fell sick & the doctor said that next 24hrs were critical. Father sat for 30hrs at her bedside, monitoring her conditionds personally & when the doctor gave a complete green signal, he took a cup of tea.

Many years later when my own daughter was born the whole family including my father said that a devi was born in our family. To the surprise of many pepole sweets were distributed to all the families living in our colony. Still many years later when our granddaughter was born my daughter's mother-in-law out of happiness presented her  with a diamond ring.

Just see the greatness of our family & father sahib in comparison to the present generation and the sad condition of the girl  child in today's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment